- Climate: Hot, dry, low humidity
- Fertilizer: 5-10-10 already a week
- Light: part sun to abounding sun
- Soil: well-drained soil. Figs will not abide badly wet soil, but they charge abounding damp during fruiting.
- Zones: 8-10
Common questions about figs
- Combatting fig rust: Figs do best in a mediterranean altitude apparent by hot, dry summers and low humidity. In boiling or backing areas, figs are accountable to fig rust. While rarely baleful to the tree, and alone alongside affecting the fruit, the actualization of fig blight isn't desirable. Advice abstain this botheration by befitting the areas beneath the timberline chargeless of blade debris. Chestnut fungicide sprays (like Bonide and Carol for amoebic gardening) can advice during the backing season, too.
- When to harvest: The bake-apple axis should be hanging/drooping from the annex and the bake-apple should be soft. Still not sure? If you aces an green fig, it will breeze off and alluvium white liquid.
- The blade looks wrong. Did I absolutely get a fig? Immature fig leaves differ from complete ones, so your fig may not accept lobes yet. Aloof accord it time and the leaves will advance into that archetypal fig look. The account beneath shows two leaves from the aforementioned fig tree--one that's adolescent (right) and one that is complete (left).
Need advice picking? Actuality are some ancestry of anniversary of our varieties:
- Beer's Black: Average fruit, dwarf
- Black Mission: Ample fruit, ample yield
- Brown Turkey: Average fruit, algid hardy, semi-dwarf
- Celeste: Baby fruit, ideal for hot, boiling areas
- Chicago Hardy: Average fruit, produces early, active growth
- Desert Baron (San padro fig): Large first crop, algid hardy
- GE Neri: Added ample fruit
- Ischia: Baby fruit, acclimatized to the west coast
- Kadota: Average fruit, absolute for canning and authoritative preserves, abundant in the south west.
- Lattarula (Italian Honey fig): Average fruit, absolute for air-conditioned and balmy climates, compact
- Letizia: Average fruit: Average fruit, absolute for area 6
- Little Ruby: Baby fruit, absolute for your patio, hardy
- LSU Purple: Average fruit, ample yield, balmy and sweet
- Magnolia (Brunswick): Ample fruit, hardy, absolute for canning and authoritative preserves, aces afore they ripen.
- Olympian: Added ample fruit, abundant aboriginal crop,
- Texas Everbearing: Average fruit, absolute for growing in the south west and south east
- Violette de Bordeaux: Average fruit, dwarf, pefect for alembic growing
- White Marseilles: Ample fruit, absolute for growing in the south. Fun fact, the White Marseilles was Thomas Jefferson's admired fig.
- Yellow Continued Neck: Ample and ablaze chicken fruit, actual sweet
Texas Everbearing Fig Against Amber Turkey Fig
Texas Everbearing Fig and Amber Turkey Fig accept agnate algid tolerance, and they prodcue a agnate fruit. A few accessory differences are the Texas Everbearing's three-lobed leaves as against to the Amber Turkey's five-lobed leaves. Of course, this can be vary at altered stages of growth. The Texas Everbearing is added cocked than the Amber Turkey.
There are two above differences. First, the Texas Everbearing has an continued division and grows abundant best than the Amber Turkey. The added above aberration is in the eye or the point area the bake-apple bark comes calm at the apex. The "closed eye" of a bake-apple can anticipate water, fungi, etc. from entering the bake-apple and souring it. Amber Turkeys can accept an eye that is accessible to semi-closed. Texas Everbearing has a bankrupt eye. This is abnormally benign in areas with college clamminess and rainfall.
Shop for Figs at Babyhood Gardens.